Horizons College is an innovative and inclusive specialist provision for young people aged 16-25 with learning difficulties and/or complex needs based at the Interface Business Park in Royal Wootton Bassett. Horizons College is part of Brunel Education, which is a subsidiary organisation of Brunel Academies Trust.
Horizons College are working closely with Uplands School, a high performing secondary school for students aged 11- 19 with severe, profound and multiple learning difficulties and autistic spectrum disorders. Some of its students move on to join Horizons College and we are looking for a dedicated Teaching Assistant who can provide a safe and supportive transition to the next stage on the students’ educational journey.
Working closely with a small group of up to six students, you will help equip them to be independent by developing life and work skills ready for life after college. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to help young people transition from Secondary to Higher Education and on to adulthood.
The attached job description will detail your role in full. But at a glance, some of the key fields you will be responsible for include:
- To assist in supervising the activities of individual and small groups of students, who have complex needs, in order to ensure their safety, facilitate their education development and develop a supportive and caring relationship
- To support the teaching and learning of students by working with the teacher to deliver the curriculum
- To provide simple medical aid as and when necessary, and take all reasonable measures to ensure health and safety in the classroom and other relevant areas within and outside the school premises
- To provide care, attend to student’s personal needs and undertake activities necessary to meet the physical, emotional and educational requirements of individual students utilising a wide range of skills, with support and supervision from teaching staff and other professionals including speech therapist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, school nurse
- Maintain records of student’s progress as instructed by the class teacher including input to monitoring and reviewing of work programme
Our person specification attached will contain the full areas of skills and experience, but it is really important to us that you feel comfortable and confident in your role, so although you may not have everything desirable, there are some essential features our appointee will need to have and these include:
- Basic knowledge in literacy and numeracy
- Effective communicator, modelling professional communication with young people and other adults
- Ability to provide feedback on student participation and achievement
- Be highly motivated, able to follow instruction and work independently
- Willing to attend and contribute to meetings to discuss planning/issues with teachers and/or other staff as required
- Willing to undertake and implement training in manual handling, personal care (e.g. feeding and toileting), medical needs and fire evacuation procedure
Training: It is important to us to ensure you feel valued and supported in this exciting, rewarding and important role that you undertake therefore, relative training will be provided to the appointed applicant upon starting.
Brunel Academies Trust is a rapidly developing Multi Academy Trust. We value our colleagues and the effort they put into our children and young people day in and out. Whether through continuous professional development (CPD) to feed your ambitions, personal and impartial support through challenging days or exciting and easy to use discounts to enjoy with friends and family, we have a package of excellent benefits which are available to all staff including:
- Support on continuous professional development (CPD) opportunities
- Brunel Perks – exclusive discounts on a range of products and retailers from cinema tickets, food shopping and holidays
- Discounts with Swindon Designer Outlet Village
- Carefirst – impartial counselling service in person, by video call or phone as well as a citizen’s advice function for advice and support on personal or professional queries
- Excellent pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
- Annual pay progression opportunities
Hours: 29.5 pw, 09:00 - 15:30
Potential talent for this exciting opportunity are warmly invited and encouraged to visit our setting to explore how unique and inspirational our students and team really are. In addition to exploring our college’s journey to success via our website, please contact the school office to arrange a visit to tour the site or/and have an informal conversation with the Head Teacher via 1793 481493.
To learn more about our Trust and our mission, please do visit our website at www .brunel.org.uk or for more information on this exciting opportunity please write to resourcing @ brunel.org.uk. Alternatively, please call 01793-286620
Brunel Academies Trust is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people (CYP) and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointment is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check, references and medical clearance. All references will be obtained prior to interview in line with Safer Recruitment and KCSIE.
Brunel Academies Trust is dedicated to the vision of having a diverse workforce and is committed to building a team that reflects diversity from the communities it serves. We value the contributions of all colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds and actively seek to promote an environment which is free from discrimination and harassment; which at the same time supports fair promotion and cultural acceptance.
Under the provision of the Equality Act 2010, Brunel Academies Trust welcomes applications from everyone and operates a recruitment process that is fair and does not discriminate against or disadvantage anyone because of their age, pronouns preference, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy, paternity or maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.