Background to the Post
During recent years the College has continued to grow and diversify in order to meet the demands placed upon it by government initiatives, community developments and financial considerations.
In order to keep pace with changes and to address the needs of students in the 21st Century, the College has embarked upon a number of initiatives and from 2007; the College operates at six main centres throughout Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
The growth in terms of student intake has put very real pressure upon the maintenance of buildings, grounds and services, caretaking, security, portering and cleaning; and has shown the need for a high level of teamwork, flexibility, loyalty and co-operation.
Any person appointed as a Senior Estate Warden and Maintenance Technician will be part of the Estates and Facilities Management team and will be expected to play their part in the constant battle to keep the College buildings and grounds in the best possible condition and appearance, as well as ensuring the necessary support to all other staff, including their safety.
Why Work With Us?
Imagine working for an employer that has a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students every year. That could be you.
We offer careers in teaching, educational support and pastoral care and brilliant opportunities within our professional Corporate and Commercial Services departments. The opportunities here are almost endless and can be full time, term time only, part time.
We are one of the largest higher and further education colleges in the country with just under 15,000 students and around 1,300 staff. That’s a lot of people and people are our key to success.
WCG has a comprehensive staff training program, offering leadership training for those wanting to progress and an employee health and wellbeing programme to support our staff when they need it most.
Place of Work: Rugby College
Our Rugby College campus offers specialist facilities for engineering, construction, hair and beauty and performing arts. This includes 150-seat theatre and superb engineering facilities, including the cutting edge Power Academy.
Rugby College has excellent transport links and is located on a relatively new development within walking distance of Rugby rail station and close to Junction One and Elliott's Field retail parks on the A426 Leicester Road.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and Mathematics, or Level 2 equivalent qualification.
- Previous experience of supervising staff.
- Able to demonstrate a good level of practical building maintenance skills both domestic and commercial including external water supplies.
- Experience and knowledge of the main duties including previous experience or the ability to carry out basic plumbing and carpentry.
- Good timekeeping skills and reliability.
- Full UK driving licence free from major endorsements.
- Qualified First Aider or willingness to undertake qualification.
- Undertake training as required to fulfil the demands of the post.
- Basic IT skills, able to use e-mail and basic word packages.
- Experience of driving a mini bus.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to relate to all students, including those from different ethnic origins.
- Be customer orientated and willing to be of service.
- Self-motivated and the ability to motivate others.
- To be aware of all safety procedures and observe them at all times.
- Ability to use initiative and to work without constant supervision.
- Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Willingness to be versatile.
- Ability to work as part of a small team
- Ability to lead and manage a small team and work as part of a team.
- Ability to respond flexibly and tactfully, including changing shift patterns and covering for absent colleagues.
- Enthusiastic approach when dealing with others.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Equality and Diversity.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
- Ability to demonstrate behaviours which support the Core Values of the College.
For a full job description, please see the job description attached below.
Warwickshire College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.