Sports Centre Duty Manager
Permanent, Full-time - 37 hours per week
Variable working patterns including evenings, weekends and bank holidays
Salary: £21,359 - £22,896
The Gordon Banks Sports Centre opened in January 2010 as part of the college’s state of the art £60m campus. The Centre has a range of internal and external facilities including sports hall, fitness suite, dance studio, a full size 3G synthetic pitch, three full size grass pitches and a junior pitch. Open 7 days a week, the Centre provides facilities for the College and St John Fisher school’s students as well as being available out of hours for commercial and community lettings.
Reporting to the Sports Centre Manager, the Duty Manager will be responsible for the day to day operational management and commercial activities of the Sports Centre, and will be expected to maximise returns from commercial and community lettings.
Committed to ensuring that the Centre meets its performance targets, you will have a key focus on standards of service for internal and external customers. Particular duties will include organising and planning staffing and ensuring the security of the Centre. You will also be responsible for the reconciliation of the Centre’s daily and weekly income, risk assessments for activities and equipment as well as ensuring that the highest standards of health, safety and hygiene are observed at all times. The post holder will also be expected to complete gym inductions and exercise classes.
The Duty Manager will be required to work flexibly on a ‘5 over 7’ basis to include early mornings and late evenings to cover any of the core functions within the Centre as and when required as well as being willing to work regular early morning, evening and weekend shifts.
To be successful you will be qualified to level 3 or above a sports/leisure Centre related discipline along with proven experience in the operation of a ‘dry’ sports or fitness Centre.
The main duties of the post holder are:
- To take responsibility for the day-to-day operational management of the Centre and to provide an efficient and professional service, which is safe and welcoming for all visitors to the Centre.
- Be conversant with selling techniques and convert enquiries into sales, in order to achieve personal sales targets in line with the performance targets set for the Centre.
- To foster and actively promote a ‘can do’ culture, with a particular focus upon: a positive team spirit, delivery of targets and customer focused service delivery.
- To supervise staff and to ensure that the Centre has appropriate staffing levels for all activities to meet the needs of the business.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Is qualified to level 3 or above in a management qualification ideally in sports/leisure management or another relevant discipline
- Has a good standard of general education including GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths.
- Is ideally a qualified gym instructor or be willing to be trained to at least level 2
- Has at least 2 years’ experience in the operation of a ‘dry’ commercial/community sports centre
What’s in it for you?
The college offers and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Excellent Training and Development Opportunities
- 24 days annual leave, rising to 30 following 5 years’ service (plus bank holidays and reduced opening throughout the Christmas period).
How to apply:
To apply for the role of Sports Centre Duty Manager, please click ‘Apply Now’ to complete an online application form.
(If you are applying via a jobs board, you will receive an e-mail and link that will take you directly to our application form on the Newcastle & Stafford Colleges Group website).
The closing date for completed applications is Sunday 2nd October 2022.
This college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All college based positions are subject to enhanced DBS check and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.
Newcastle-under-Lyme College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.